We had a bit of rain, but not too strong gusts with it. The swell was a bit higher, but very long, not to bad. We decided to go for a rest at anchor just outside Santo Andre. We arrived at
sunset and left the following day, 26 May at sunrise for the last stretch to Gamboa

The following 2 days was the same story of moderate winds, rain and swell.
The last day just before sunset, it was my turn to steer. I saw a very thick cloud just behind us and woke Jaco to help me to shorten the sails. I just brought the jib in when a hell of a strong gust hit us, within a few seconds all hell broke loose on us! The boom was far out for wind from the back and impossible to bring in with such strong wind. We did an accidental gybe, but luckily nothing broke a no one was in the way of the boom. Then Jaco steered into the wind and I took the mainsail down. (Too difficult for me to reef with such forceful wind). Well we learned the hard way to put 2 reefs in, in thunderstorm conditions and just steer into the wind to shorten sails!
We arrived at Gamboa at 5h30 on 28 May and took the free mooring of the yacht club.



Popular Posts